Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Gratton Robert Mayfield

He's here!!! Gratton was born last Tuesday, 1/26/11 at 3:06am. He weighed 6lbs 4oz and was 20 inches long. However, at his pediatrics appointment he had lost an inch because his head shrunk back to normal. So he is 19 inches now.

I started having contractions Sunday the 24th. They were really strong, but not consistent, so I stayed at home all frustrated, and waited for them to get closer together. We went to Sunday dessert night at Kirsties house, and Kirstie and my lil sis and I joked around about what I could do to get my contractions closer together and get this baby here! Monday morning we went about our normal routine. David went to his first class and I dropped him off at his second class. That was at about 12:45. I got home and as soon as I sat down I noticed that they were getting closer together, so I started timing them. They were a minute apart and really painful. I knew if I waited until Davids class finished, I might be in too much pain to go get him. So after an hour of minute apart contractions, I texted David and went to pick him up. I wanted to go to the doctors office first, in case it was a false alarm. They were all out at lunch though, so the receptionist told me to go to the hospital.

We went to the hospital, and I was dilated to a 2. They hooked me up to monitors and said they were gonna watch my contractions and see if they progressed me at all. The contractions continued for like an hour and a half, and then she made us get up and walk for 30 minutes to see if they would speed up or "fizzle out". After the first walk, they seemed to slow down a little and I started to get kinda disappointed. I didn't wanna go home.... Then she made me walk a second time, and my contractions went nuts. They were one after another and so painful. I had also dilated to a 3. The doc hadn't showed up yet, but when she called him, he said to keep me there and he would come break my water after his shift at the clinic.

When the nurse came back to our room and told us that the doc was going to break my water, and that we were going to have this baby, I was a little shocked! I wanted to have my baby, but I didn't think coming into the hospital that it was going to happen! We didn't bring anything except a camera! I immediately texted everyone who I had promised I would, to tell them we were having a baby. David called his parents, and Natalie (my little sis) called mine. We were so excited. David was literally bouncing around like a little kid who had had way too much sugar!

It was all fun and games until the doc broke my water and the contractions picked up big time. They were so painful, I thought I was gonna die! The doc said I could get my epidural whenever I wanted, and so I thought about it for a few seconds..... Now! I want the epidural now! About 20 minutes later and I'm still dying... I even cried a little. David gave me a blessing. The contractions get harder and closer together.....They are one after another and I tell David, "I can't do it anymore." Then finally the anesthesiologist walks in! He looked like an angel to me with his drugs and sterile kits full of needles.

He starts talking and I half listen, trying to hold back tears and screams. I just want the needles and drugs already. He gets started and tells me not to move, or I can become paralyzed. Perfect thing to say, as one of the biggest contractions yet comes. I hold as still as possible as he tells me this is going to hurt. I thought it would, since they go in between your spine and all, but compared to the contractions all I felt was a tiny pinch. Ten minutes later the drugs kick in and I am all smiles. I can do another 3 days of labor if it's like this!

Kirstie and Bill came a few minutes later. Natalie and Bill left to get food cause no one had eaten. Kirstie insisted they not eat in front of me, but I told them I didn't care. I honestly didn't. Now that I couldn't feel the contractions, I was just super excited again to see my baby boy! The nurse had watermelon flavored ice chips, and that was good enough for me.

We all took bets, and most of us thought it'd be like 6 or 7 in the morning cause I wasn't progressing very fast. However, we were wrong and he was born at 3:08 am! The doctor on call was the one I didn't like, and he was really rude. He even made fun of the name we had picked out. Talk about bedside manners... I don't know all the stuff he was saying because I was pretty distracted, all I know is that the nurses were arguing with him and I heard one of them call him arrogant.

They thought I was going to have to have a C-section because with every contraction his heart rate dropped really low. SO I had to change positions with every push, and then wait for his heart rate to get back to normal before pushing again. He had the heart monitor attached to his head too. He still has the scab actually. But we didn't have to have a C-section because I was such a good pusher and we were able to get him out in an hour. I cried a ton when he was born, David did too. He was just so beautiful and we love him so much!


  1. Sister! You did it! I hear you are a great mom! The spirit birth brings is so amazing huh? makes every once of pain worth it and next thing you know you dont remember the pain at all. I love you sister and cant wait till i am allowed to travel and come see you and your angel :)

  2. Wow Sonja!!! Congrats. He is so cute! You and I really need to catch up. I miss you.