Mommy Daughter Date at The Nutcracker

Kahlan is still too young to be in the Ballet West's Nutcracker, so I took her to go see it instead! It was our first Mommy daughter date, and we had a great time! We went to the Saturday morning show, because I knew that was the one where nobody minded kids talking and screaming at exciting parts! Glad I did, because she had lots of questions and comments. They had a few firework type special effects, and all the kids got SO excited! 
I told Kahlan which parts I was in as a dancer, and it was cute how impressed she was. My favorite comment though, was when the lead Arabian ballerina started dancing, and she made a sound effect like "Ooh la la!" The actual sound effect she made was funnier, but I can't remember exactly what she said! The meaning though was clear- "she's a pretty, sexy ballerina!" Ballet West's Arabian dance actually was my favorite, out of all the other versions I have ever seen!
Gratton said that when Kahlan is actually in the ballet, he will come and watch too. Not just for fun though, he said. Instead, he and Dad went to Mitch and Sawyers house. 



Kahlan with the big Christmas tree in the theater's lobby.


Selfie with both of us in front of the tree. Next time I will ask someone to take a picture of the both of us! 


Us in our awesome orchestra seats! The cheap seats were sold out, but I am glad they were. Nicer seats were fabulous!


I let Kahlan pick out a souvenir, for herself and her brother. 
She picked the dancer from the Spanish variation for herself, 
and a Nutcracker ornament for Gratton. She held hers 
during the show and kept asking- when is my girls dance coming??!!

Dancing in The Nutcracker holds some of my fondest memories, and it was great to be able to start sharing some of that with Kahlan. As of now, she wants to be a professional ballerina. She also has a list of other things she wants to be, and who knows what she'll end up doing. But for now, hearing her say she wants to be a ballerina warms my heart! My parents (and friends parents) did their best to help me achieve my dreams of being on a ballet company, but I  knew realistically that it couldn't happen. I did get to attend the Kirov Academy's summer intensive two years in a row, in Washington D.C. But to have caught up to the other girls, I needed the year round professional training at the Kirov, and $20,000 a year was WAY outside what a family with 8 kids could afford! They sacrificed tons for the 3 week program! If Kahlan wants that path though, I know how to make it happen for her! And we already live close to a professional ballet school, so she wouldn't even need to ship off to a boarding school. Getting ahead of myself, but long story short- seeing your child like things you loved is awesome!

Now it is time to go play Beyblades with Gratton, like I promised. Then we are busting out the Christmas tree, because it is officially Christmas time!

Happy Holidays everyone! And happy Nutcracker season!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Health update, a big one

Tidbits from today

Part 2 July 10,2022